THE MOTE SQUASH CLUB AGM: CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
THE MOTE SQUASH CLUB
CHAIRMAN’S REPORT 2017
It has been an honour and a privilege to serve as your club chairman for the past year.
I would like to thank everyone on the club management committee for their hard work throughout the year, in addition to numerous others who have given their time freely and willingly to help the club function as smoothly as possible.
We have faced numerous challenges, some of them from unexpected quarters, but the goodwill and hard work of so many members has created a huge buzz around the club as we look forward to the future with some degree of confidence.
To see the appearance of the club totally transformed by the recent decorating project has given everyone a lift and I want to thank all those responsible.
A number of new volunteers stepped forward to help out during the Kent Open and, during a reception to thank them all for their hard work contributing to another successful tournament, it was obvious that there was an abundance of energy to tackle other key projects.
It was agreed that the overwhelming priority was to overhaul the appearance of the club. In the space of three weeks the bar, conservatory, stairs and entrance hall were cleaned and decorated and a new carpet laid to give the club a clean, modern and contemporary feel. Further essential work is ongoing both indoors and outdoors.
Special thanks go to Frances Casey, Lee Ball, Russell Mason and my wife Gay for all their hard work and for taking time off work to complete the job. Thanks also to Alam Soliman for the huge amount of prep work and cleaning, and to Ryan Avison for pitching in to help with the painting.
With Russell Mason now in place as Bar Manager, and also standing for nomination as Social Secretary at the AGM, we can look forward to hosting numerous social events at the club.
We are confident that the new-look surroundings will encourage members and non-members alike to hire the club for family parties and other functions.
We are discussing plans to extend the conservatory and sponsorship is already in place to undertake this next step of the project. Our thanks go to a new member of the club, Lazare Morel of Veblen Wines, for this extremely generous gesture.
As always, it requires a lot of hard work to keep the club on track financially.
Our major revenue streams continue to be from membership, court bookings and bar takings.
Hopefully we will soon see an increase in revenues from venue hire and functions, plus entry fees from new tournaments, to augment the above.
Our major outgoing is the monthly rent payable to our landlords, The Mote Cricket Club. I have formally requested a reduction in our rent and negotiations with our landlords are ongoing.
Your management team is committed to arranging as many tournaments as possible to cater for all playing standards. This applies to those who want fun, social squash as well as those who aspire to the more serious and demanding standards required to play competitive team squash and enter tournaments.
We arrange more than 100 Club Nights per year on Fridays and Sundays, we have junior and adult team squash, internal box leagues for squash and racketball, we arrange Club Championships in both squash and racketball, we host an annual graded tournament and the World Squash Day Champagne Doubles.
With the addition of our table tennis facilities, we are looking at adding a Racketlon tournament, which will include squash, racketball and table tennis.
Members are fortunate to have John Burbridge and Callum Macdougall running the internal leagues, Jason and Claire Goodayle organising the Mid-Kent Junior League, Joe Skinner and Judith Sloan arranging the Club Nights, plus Jason as club captain and the various team captains arranging league matches.
I am happy to continue arranging the Kent Open, the Racketball Championship and the World Squash Day events.
Our grateful thanks go to Sharon Evans for leading the Friday Club Nights for many years and we wish her well in her new home in the west country.
The biggest growth in playing patterns over the past 12 months has been the increase in the number of enthusiastic members taking up racketball. More racketball tournaments are on the horizon, plus friendly matches against other clubs.
Junior coaching runs every Saturday morning from 10am to 12 noon and Monday evenings from 4pm to 6.30pm. Coaching is taken by Ben Goodayle, who has recently completed his England Squash Level 2 coaching award.
Two junior squads competed in the Kent Junior League. Thanks to Chris Cox and Lorraine Mount for running them this year. The Division One team came third and the Division Three squad finished second. We are looking to run three teams this winter, including an under-12 development team.
The Mid-Kent Junior League has just completed its third year at the club, held over 10 Saturdays throughout the year. Thanks to Richard Coward for sponsoring the prizes and to the volunteers in the kitchen and bar throughout the day. This event raises around £1,200 for Kent Junior Squash and roughly £1,000 to the club each year.
Junior Club Championships:
Winner Ben Goodayle. Runner Up Joe Casey
Plate Winner Luke Mount. Runner Up Matt McLaughlin
CLUB CAPTAIN’S REPORT
We ran three winter teams and three summer teams this year.
1st team got to the final of the Cornwallis Cup held at Thanet and lost to a strong Canterbury team on the night.
1st team - Div 1 runners up Outer Kent League
2nd team - Div 2 runners up Priory League
3rd team - competed in Div 6 Priory League
1st team- 3rd in Div 2 Priory
2nd team - 2nd in Div 1 Outer Kent
3rd team - 3rd in Div 3 Outer Kent
Thanks to all players and team captains.
Mens Winner: Darren Heathfield. Runner-Up Mark Steeden
Ladies Winner: Alice Hill. Runner-Up Maddy Hill
Mens Plate Winner: Andy Baker. Runner-Up Andy Bosworth
Ladie Plate Winner: Lottie Hill. Runner-Up Sandy Joyce
Thanks to players and markers throughout the event.
SELECT GAMING KENT OPEN:
The 2017 Select Gaming Kent Open was another outstanding tournament, which gave members the opportunity to watch top-class professional squash free of charge all week.
Last year’s runner-up, Welsh number one Joel Makin, came back as top seed and duly carried off the title. Josh Masters played superbly all week to reach the final but his lack of court time, due to university exams, meant he was a little tired on the big day.
Congratulations are due to Josh for subsequently being invited to compete in the recent World Games in Poland and the European Individual Championship in Nottingham, where he reached the quarter-final stage and played current world number one Gregory Gaultier.
The Kent Open is a world-ranking event on the PSA World Tour. Once again the tournament generated extensive publicity for the club worth thousands of pounds. Club members had the opportunity to compete in the pre-qualifying tournament, which was a very high calibre draw with several professionals.
The event showcases the club, which was busy eight days in a row and thanks go to the bar and kitchen staff who worked so hard during the week. Thanks also to a large team of volunteers who hung new sponsorship signs on the courts and kept the club clean and presentable during the week.
We were delighted to welcome new sponsors First Business Finance, DWL Windows and Blade Rackets to support the commitment and support from long-term sponsors Select Gaming, Shepherd Neame and Lashings.
Thanks also to those members who gave generous donations and paid to reserve seats for the semi-finals and final. Club members contributed to the funding of the tournament by supporting Quiz Nights, the Barn Door Challenge and Newvy’s Curry Night. Huge thanks go to all concerned.
Thanks also to Kim Roberts for setting up a special Kent Open website:
Kim has an extensive archive of photographs from the nine fascinating years of the Kent Open and we were delighted to highlight many of his favourite images from down the years in a superb mural which hangs on the stairs. Thanks to Tim Grimes for the design and production.
WORLD SQUASH DAY CHAMPAGNE DOUBLES:
This was a very popular and well-attended tournament, which is now established as an annual event on the calendar. Thanks to Richard Coward for donating a jeroboam of bubbly last year, which went to the winners Gary Clarke and Ed Henley of Rodmersham. Dave Verga and Rich Stanley were proud winners of the Cheap Plonk division. This year’s tournament takes place on October 14th so please add your names to the list.
LASHINGS ONE-DAY GRADED TOURNAMENT:
The Lashings tournament attracted close to 60 players in January and was an extremely popular addition to the club calendar. As the name suggests, the competition is open to players of all standards (A, B, C and D grades).
We will be hosting the next edition on January 13th, 2018. Numbers in each division are limited and Mote members will have a priority booking window of several days to get their entries in. Keep an eye on the club Facebook page.
Alongside racketball, one-day graded tournaments are growing significantly all over the country. Our thanks to Joe Magor for running the event so smoothly and thanks to Lashings for hosting an excellent late-night meal and party!
There will be some new faces on the management committee at the AGM. With much of our business conducted online, it makes good sense to create a new post of Technology Officer. The position of Maintenance Officer will become a voluntary post with a team of volunteers in place to assist.
Joe Wheatley is stepping down from a number of posts he has held, which include treasurer, bar manager and maintenance manager as well as running the online booking system. Our grateful thanks go to Joe for his many years of hard work on behalf of the club. The committee has decided to award Joe an honorary life membership of the club in recognition of his years of service.
Lloyd Chinsen is also standing down from the role of Membership Secretary and again we owe him our enormous thanks for a very thorough and professional job carried out over many years.
Andy Baker and Paul Adam have stood down from the committee and we thank them for their contributions during the year.
Saturday September 30th: Mid-Kent Junior League
Saturday October 14th: World Squash Day: Open Day and Champagne Doubles.
Followed by Official Relaunch Party to celebrate our new-look club.
Live Music and Food will be provided.
Saturday November 18th: Club Racketball Championship
Saturday December 9th: Club Christmas Party and Fun Tournament
Saturday January 13th 2018: Lashings One-Day Graded Tournament
Keep up with all the latest club news on our Twitter and Facebook pages.
Looking forward to seeing you all at the AGM on Friday. Happy Hour begins at 7.30pm.
ALAN THATCHER, Chairman.
News & Events
- Racket Ball Leagues Resumption
- New Squash Ending July 18th.
- Squash and Racket Ball Leagues.
- Membership proposal for 2021/22 approved
- Committee Meeting Minutes - 10th May'21
- Squash Leagues - Restarting Monday 7th. June.
- Return of 45minute courts + Peak Time
- Mote Squash Club 2021-2022 Membership Subscriptions Proposal – May’21
- Squash is finally back!
- Squash is back ... hopefully!
- Court 2 back open + central heating working
- Welcome back!
- Committee Meeting Minutes 30th March'21
- Back to squash - phased re-opening 12th April
- Committee Meeting Minutes - 26th Jan'21
- Club Closure - Sunday 20th November
- Adult 1-2-1 coaching
- Update on Club re-opening status whilst in Tier 3
- 2020 AGM Minutes
- AGM - Zoom call details
- AGM Agenda and Inputs
- Lockdown: November Club Closure
- AGM: Opportunity to cast early votes
- Notice of AGM - Friday 13th November 2020
- Committee minutes 15th October '20
- Changing rooms
- Bar opening Tuesday 6th October
- 65min court bookings AVAILABLE
- Change in court timings + Bar re-opening plans
- Changing rooms & showers
- Postponement of AGM
- Committee minutes 25th Aug'20
- Moving to Phase 2 - Introduction of 'Squash Bubbles'
- Phase 2 of returning to normal squash playing announced
- Next steps for changing rooms/showers + bar - 28th August
- Playing guidelines reminder
- Reminder - club bar open tomorrow (Friday 14th) from 5pm
- Minutes of Committee Meeting - 7th August 2020
- Message from the Committee + notice of AGM on Friday 18th September
- Opportunity to buy tokens / £1 coins with a beer!
- Booking courts
- Off peak members & use of peak time courts
- Clarity on 'Support Bubbles'
- Back Open for Squash – Saturday 1st August!
- Reopening for squash – proposed opening date of Saturday 1st August – ACTION REQUIRED
- Outdoor circuit training cancelled
- Return of squash
- Outdoor circuit training - Starting Sunday 19th July
- Survey follow-up - to close on Sunday
- UPDATE: New survey link - please take part or repeat!
- Help needed please ….. Coronavirus update plus membership survey
- Coronavirus update + Committee Vacancy
- NHS Thank You Campaign
- Latest Committee Meeting Minutes + Kent Squash Update
- Immediate closure of club until further notice
- ALL GROUP SESSIONS NOW CANCELLED
- Barn Door Challenge CANCELLED
- Update on ongoing Coronavirus situation
- New Squash Leagues Ending April 26th.
- Coronavirus Risk
- New Racket Ball Leagues
- The 12th Barn Door Challenge - Thursday 26th March
- Annual gas servicing - Tues 3rd and Wed 4th March
- Thursday 27th Feb - spare courts
- Spare Canary Wharf Classic ticket!
- Thursday 20th Feb courts
- Reminder regarding footwear on court
- New Squash Leagues. Session Ending March 15th.
- Quiz Night - Saturday 29th February
- Committee Meeting Minutes - 13Jan20
- Court 4 door
- Hiring of Club for Private Functions
- Mote Graded January 2020 Results
- Missing racket
- Thursday 16th Jan
- Pending Court Maintenance - w/c 20th January
- New Year Updates
- New Racket Ball Leagues
- Christmas period bar opening hours
- New Squash Leagues Ending Sunday 2nd. Feb. 2020
- Mote Graded Tournament - Saturday 11th January
- Doubles and player safety
- Christmas Party 21st December
- Children In Need - Friday 15th Nov
- Mote SC Christmas Party - Saturday 21st Dec
- Court Maintenance - Thursday 14th & Friday 15th Nov
- Squash Leagues Ending December 15th.
- Committee Meeting Minutes - 21st October 2019
- EGM / AGM Minutes - 27th Sep
- Memberships - 2 days to go ....
- 4 days to go for Membership renewals
- 9 days to go ... MEMBERSHIPS DUE!
- Quiz night - Saturday 26th October
- World Squash Day - Saturday 12th October
- Keeping our club secure
- Membership Subscriptions for 2019/20
- Budgie & The Smugglers .....
- Chairman's and Treasurer's reports for AGM (this Friday from 7:45pm)
- Committee Meeting Minutes - 9th Sep'19
- New Squash Leagues Ending November 3rd. 2019
- World Squash Day - Saturday 12th October
- Winter Team Squash
- Rackethon - Saturday 28th September
- Club Championships on Friday 6th Sep - Main Doubles and Racketball Plate Finals
- Notice of Annual General Meeting 2019 - Friday 27th September
- Notice of Extraordinary General Meeting 2019 - Friday 27th September
- Mote Squash Club playing cricket ....?! Sunday 1st Sep
- Committee Meeting Minutes - Monday 29th July'19
- Team match - Tuesday 27th August vs Beckenham
- Club Night
- Court Heating
- New Squash Leagues - Session Ending September 22nd.
- Upcoming Events at The Mote SC
- New Squash Leagues Ending August 11th
- UPDATED - MOTE GRADED SCHEDULE & DRAWS (Saturday 22nd June)
- Mote Graded - schedule and draws (Saturday 22nd June)
- UPDATED - PSA Match Schedules (attached)
- Mote vs Hartley 1 - tonight !
- PSA match schedules
- Committee Meeting Minutes - 3rd June 2019
- Saturday 22nd June Party / BBQ
- Last call for Mote Graded & Mote Junior Tournaments
- Club Championships - Ladies Squash Main & Plate Finals
- Upcoming Committee Vacancy - Membership Secretary
- Maintenance Book
- Upcoming Team Matches - happy hour !
- Upcoming PSA Tournament + Adult Graded / Junior Tournaments + Party
- Saturday 1st June - Champions League Final
- New Squash Leagues Ending Sunday June 30th.
- UPDATE: Club Finals Night - Friday 24th May
- Club Finals Night - Friday 24th May
- Club Champs Semis - Saturday 18th May
- Holiday Squash Camps - 29th / 30th May
- Committee Meeting Minutes - 23rd April 2019
- Club Championship matches - Saturday 11th & Saturday 18th May
- Barn Door Challenge - postponed
- Friday 10th May - Barn Door Challenge
- Barn Door Challenge - 10th May 2019
- Essential Electrical Works
- Charity Football Match - Friday 26th April
- New Squash Leagues Starting Today. Ending 19th May.
- Courts freed up for Tuesday 9th April
- Court 4 update
- 11th March Committee Meeting Minutes
- Club Championships - Reminder
- Junior Easter Squash Camps + Fit 4 Squash + Ladies Squash Coaching
- 2019 Club Championships
- Men's Changing Room - Fire Door Exit
- Private Function - Saturday 16th March
- Upcoming Events
- Club Championships - get your entries in!
- New Squash Leagues
- New Squash Leagues Ending April 7th.
- 28th Jan & 5th Feb'19 Committee Minutes
- Court Upgrade Update
- Club Box Leagues - your club needs you .....!
- Court heating
- Reminder - Court Upgrades to start this week
- Race Night - Saturday 16th February
- New Squash Leagues Ending February 17th.
- 17th Dec'18 Committee Meeting Minutes
- Upcoming Court Maintenance & Upgrades - Jan & Feb'19
- Saturday 12th Jan - One Day Graded Tournament at The Mote sponsored by SADS IT
- UPDATED - Change to Court Schedules - Active from 10th January 2019
- UPDATED - Friday 21st December + Festive Period Bar Opening Hours
- Anti-social behaviour
- Change to Court Schedules - Active from Thursday 10th January 2019
- Friday 21st December + Festive Period Bar Opening Hours
- Court Maintenance - Tuesday 11th December
- New Squash Leagues Ending January 6th. 2019.
- Update re administration of minutes / club rules
- Christmas Party - Live Music & Open Mic - Sat 8th December
- 2018/19 Club Membership Subscriptions
- Junior Club Membership
- Christmas Party - Live Music & Open Mic - Sat 8th December
- Revised AGM nominations for Friday 19th October 2018
- New Squash Leagues Ending Nov. 18th. 2018.
- Chairmans Report 2017/18
- Mote Squash Club - Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM)
- Mote Squash Club - 2018 Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- 2018/19 Annual Membership Subcriptions - Online Payment
- Diary Reminders
- New Squash Leagues Starting Now. Ending October 7th.
- CAF Ceramics Doubles Open @ The Mote SC Saturday 29th Sep'18
- Rackethon and Music
- Diary Dates
- Junior Summer Camps - Every Wednesday and Friday during School Holidays
- The Mote Squash Club - Graded Tournament - 10th - 11th August 2018
- Tonight - FIFA World Cup Semi Final - England v Croatia
- New Squash Leagues. Session ending Sunday August 26th. 2018.
- Saturday 7th July 2018 - FIFA World Cup Quarter Final - England v Sweden
- The Mote Junior Open - 21st & 22nd July 2018
- **Reminder** - Sunday 24th June - England v Panama & Free Courts
- Mote Squash Club World Cup Event - England v Panama - Sunday 24th June 2018
- Mote Squash 2018 Finals
- New Squash Leagues Ending Sunday July 8th.
- Friday 25th May 2018 - Squash Championships Semi-Finals
- 17th May 2018 - Club Squash Championships Quarter-Finals
- Mote Squash Club - Chairman's Newsletter May 2018
- Saturday 2nd June 2018 - Mote Squash Club Finals Day
- New Racketball Leagues
- Squash Club Championship 2018 - 1st & 3rd May 2018
- Barn Door Challenge - Friday 4th May 2018
- New Squash Leagues - Session Ending Sunday May 27th. 2018.
- Exhibition Match
- 7th April 2018 - Pro Exhibition Match - Richie Fallows v Ben Coleman
- The Mote Squash & Racketball Club Championships 2018
- 7th April 2018 - Pro Exhibition Match - Richie Fallows v Josh Masters
- Club Night - 16th March 2018 - Live Music
- Mote Squash Club - March 2018 Newsletter
- New Squash Leagues. Session Ending April 15th. 2018.
- Mote Squash and Racketball Club Championships 2018
- Mote Squash Club Coach - Steve Franks
- Mote Squash Club - New Beer Launches
- Carlsberg are the New Drinks Supplier For the Club
- Mote Squash Club - January 2018 Newsletter
- New Squash Leagues. Session ending March 4th. 2018.
- Maintenance Works - Potential Disruption - Friday 12th January 2018
- Mote Squash Club Race Night - Saturday 17th February 2018
- The Lashings Open 2018 - 13/01/2018
- LASHINGS ONE-DAY GRADED: ENTRIES NOW OPEN
- CHRISTMAS PARTY / RACKETBALL
- THE MOTE SQUASH CLUB DECEMBER NEWSLETTER
- Latest Squash League Sheets
- 2017 Christmas Party and Racketball Championships
- The Mote Squash Club Racketball Championship 2017
- Mote Squash Club - Upcoming Events Winter 2017
- Mote Squash Club - 2017/18 Membership Renewals
- Goodayle Brothers Take Home Doubles Title on Hugely Successful World Squash Day 2017
- Mote Squash Club - Online Account Top-Ups
- New Squash Leagues. Session ending November 26th. 2017.
- JOIN THE FUN ON WORLD SQUASH DAY
- Current Squash Leagues Finishing date
- THE MOTE SQUASH CLUB AGM: CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
- Team squash 2017 - 2018
- AGM hospitality
- Team squash 2017-2018 season
- Membership Form for 2017/18
- 2017 AGM Important Information
- HIRING THE CLUB
- Latest Squash League Sheets
- New Squash Leagues. Session ending October 15th. 2017.
- LOVING OUR NEW LOOK!
- Squash Leagues - Time Extension
- parking due to waterlink investigating leak near front door of club
- New Squash Leagues. Session Ending Sunday August 13th.
- CLUB SECURITY / COURT DAMAGE
- JOSH MASTERS IN KENT OPEN FINAL TODAY
- KENT OPEN PARTY WEEKEND
- Squash Leagues. One week extension.
- Today's squash
- SUNDAY CLUB NIGHT / KENT OPEN PRE-QUALIFYING
- KENT OPEN / SUNDAY CLUB NIGHT / BAR-B-Q
- DAMAGE TO COURT FLOORS
- KENT OPEN COUNTDOWN
- 2017 Club Championship Final
- Barn Door Challenge - Thursday May 25th. - Cancelled
- Revised Leagues for May/June Session
- Barn Door Challenge - Thursday May 25th.
- New Squash Leagues. Session ending June 25th.
- 2017 Club Championships Finals - please come down and support there will be some epic battles!
- Club championships 2017 latest - please support game tonight and Semi Finals from 3.30 this Saturday
- Quarter finals tomorrow please come and support the schedule is now on courts 1 and 2.
- Mote Club Championships 2017
- Barn Door Challenge - Fund Raising for Kent Open
- GROWING WOMEN'S SQUASH AND RACKETBALL: FREE LAUNCH DAY
- CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP UPDATE
- Saturday afternoons
- Circuit Sessions at the Mote Squash Club
- New Squash Leagues. Session ending May 14th. 2017.
- Quiz Night
- Quiz Night
- Mote Squash Championship 2017
- TRIP TO THE CANARY WHARF SQUASH CLASSIC
- THE MOTE SQUASH CLUB: FEBRUARY 2017 NEWSLETTER
- Barn Door Challenge - Fund Raising for Kent Open
- New Squash Leagues. Session Ending Sunday March 19th 2017
- HAPPY CHRISTMAS!
- New Squash Leagues. Session ending February 5th. 2017.
- LASHINGS ONE-DAY GRADED TOURNAMENT
- RACKETBALL DRAWS FOR SATURDAY
- RACKETBALL LEAGUE
- THE MOTE SQUASH CLUB: TOURNAMENT NEWS
- MONDAY COACHING: CANCELLED
- RACKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP AND CHRISTMAS PARTY
- FREE TABLE TENNIS AT THE MOTE
- New Squash Leagues. Session ending December 18th. 2016.
- Chairman's Addendum
- WORLD SQUASH DAY CHAMPAGNE DOUBLES
- New Squash Leagues. Session ending November 6th. 2016.
- Mote Squash Club Accounts 31.03.16
- Mote Squash Annual General Meeting 2016-Correction
- Team shirts
- Mote Squash Annual General Meeting 2016
- Quiz Night - October 8th
- TOM FORD TAKES SELECT GAMING KENT OPEN TITLE
- FORD MEETS MAKIN IN KENT OPEN FINAL
- WELSH WIZARDS CAST A SPELL ON THE KENT OPEN
- SELECT GAMING KENT OPEN 2016
- TOMMO SO CLOSE TO GLORY IN KENT OPEN
- League Prizes. Become semi - professional!
- To activate your ESR Membership
- Updated Form
- Adult Membership fees
- Mote Squash Club / new online court booking system